<VV> Transmission Problems II

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Apr 15 21:01:58 EDT 2005

At 05:04 PM 4/15/05, golfer254 at netzero.net wrote:

>Where am I going wrong?

You need to disconnect the trans mounts and pull the axles such that you
can lower the entire leading end of the drivetrain -- then you can remove
the transmission itself.

But as others have opined, the only "going wrong" here is the advice
followed to remove only the transmission instead of dropping the entire
powertrain.  Dropping the entire powertrain is so easy on an early model --
most late model owners don't understand this -- that it is the fastest and
easiest way to go.

You're at a point where you could go either way, and if it were me, I'd
reverse field and drop the whole powertrain.

--Bob

PS:  Late models owners, don't start carrying on about early this and late
that.  I own both, I've serviced both, and tomorrow I'm driving my '66 on a
club tour.  But for this particular task -- removing the transmission on an
early model -- dropping the whole drivetrain is the answer.

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net