<VV> Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Apr 16 02:52:10 EDT 2005

At 06:04 hours 04/15/2005, Clark Hartzel wrote:
>Mr. Hubbell says you have to remove the entire powertrain to get the trans
>off.  I beg to differ.
>I have replaced transmissions on earlies by just lowering the front of the
>powertrain until the trans clears the horsecollar and the body.  It's not
>easy but it can be done.  The problem is if the car is level or worse yet
>just jacked up in the rear, the trans will almost fall off but very
>difficult to muscle it back uphill to reattach it.  You can't use a
>floorjack as the trans comes off at an angle.  So it is lay on your back and
>try to lift it with your arms.  Weird as it sounds it would be better to
>jack up the front of the vehicle about 5' off the ground so the trans comes
>out level with the ground.
>Clark Hartzel

Great minds think alike.   ;)

I've replaced both a 4-speed and a Powerglide in this manner on
earlies.    And you're right, jacking up the *front* helps a lot when you
put the transmission back.    It *is* an adventure juggling the
transmission around so as to not bend the shaft; it likely wouldn't bend in
any event but I still was afraid something evil  would happen if I let the
transmission rest on the shaft.    A floor jack helps, if it's under the
differential and the rear of the car is up a bit (of course the front still
needs to be higher) to allow some wiggle room.    It does save considerable
time and effort swapping a gearbox this way.

And, it offers the option of your being able to do it by yourself in the
back yard with nothing but one floor jack, two tree stumps, and a
trunk-carried tool box to work with.    Removing and reinstalling the
entire driveline with limited tools by yourself is not an easy approach
under the best conditions and damned near impossible when the job is taking
place in a friend's  back yard and he's such a nimrod you will remain happy
that he's NOT helping you.

This guy would buy a new car every two-three years because he thought the
interest deducted "from taxes" was free money given by the government.

tony..