<VV> Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Sat Apr 16 09:35:53 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Underwood" <tonyu at roava.net>

> And, it offers the option of your being able to do it by yourself in the
> back yard with nothing but one floor jack, two tree stumps, and a
> trunk-carried tool box to work with.    Removing and reinstalling the
> entire driveline with limited tools by yourself is not an easy approach
> under the best conditions and damned near impossible when the job is
> taking place in a friend's  back yard and he's such a nimrod you will
> remain happy that he's NOT helping you.

Balderdash!  I almost ALWAYS remove and install the entire early powertrain
by myself, with nothing more than a socket set, pliers, screwdrivers, one
floor jack, and two jack stands.  It is not at all a hard thing to do, and
is certainly much safer than getting under a car to wrestle with the
transmission.  Two tree stumps??? Are you CRAZY?!!  Is your life really only
worth that much??

Look, I don't care if you  want to screw around with your own lives and/or
ruin your own parts that way, but please do not suggest to the "newbies"
that they should try your insane approach.  Broken bones and bent input
shafts are not worth the aggravation.

On the other hand, I make a lot of money fixing up people who take the kind
of "shortcuts" you propose.

Bill Hubbell