<VV> Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 09:59:07 EDT 2005

Tony had written:

Bill wrote:

> Balderdash!  I almost ALWAYS remove and install the entire early
> powertrain by myself, with... one floor jack, and two jack stands.

Unless I have misunderstood something here, Bill's method is to put the car
up on two jack stands and then lower the drivetrain on the jack.

If I have read him right and made correct assumptions, Tony's method is to
put the car on two tree stumps and lower the transmission (or drivetrain?)
on the jack.

As I read it, the only difference is that Bill uses jack stands and Tony
uses tree stumps. As someone who owns both and uses the tree stumps 99% of
the time in place of jack stands, please could I put a case for tree stumps?
Mine, at least, are very wide and stout, and can't fall over. I would rather
work under any car supported on tree stumps than I would under one on jack
stands - although my jack stands are good quality and not likely to fall
over, it would be easier for them to fall over than it would for the tree
stumps to fall over, and the point of contact with the car is much safer
(i.e. if the car slips when it is on the jack stands, it is likely to fall
off the jack stand because the point of contact is small, whereas if it
slips when it is on the tree stump, it is likely to fall onto another piece
of tree stump, because mine are nearly two feet in diameter).

Perhaps I have misunderstood one or both of Bill's and Tony's posts?

Cheers

Alan

P.S. I have had my set of 5 stout tree trunks since 1976, and when we moved
to where we are now, we had to put our furniture in storage for six months.
When we were having it moved from the storage to our new house, the guy from
the removal company did a double-take when he saw the tree stumps, and asked
me why I had seen fit to pay storage on 5 tree stumps for 6 months. When I
couldn't really come up with a suitable answer (apart from my own
stupidity), he said, in a broad Devon accent (you won't know what that
sounds like, but for the US equivalent think low-country South Carolina!)
'we do 'ave trees down 'ere, you know'. Apart from feeling about 2 inches
tall, I resolved that, now I had $100 or so of storage fees in my tree
stumps, I was going to hold on them for ever. So far, I have...