<VV> Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 10:44:13 EDT 2005

> The safety issue comes up because Tony is choosing to work under the car
> when it is not necessary or even useful to do so.

Ah! Now I understand!

> As for Tree stumps vs. jack stands, all I can say it that there is no way
> to assure the safety of tree stumps, so I would be loathe to recommend
> them as a generic replacement for a stout pair of jack stands.

No 'official' way, perhaps - but common sense tells you that even if they
split clean in two they will still be there and the car won't fall off them.
But I can tell you after 29 years that mine are stout enough so that they
ain't going to split in two, either! I'll take them over the jack stands any
day!

Cheers

Alan