<VV> Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Apr 17 17:44:21 EDT 2005

At 07:12 hours 04/16/2005, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>The difference is that Bill will lower the entire powertrain and remove it
>to work on the transaxle, whereas Tony will only lower the front of the
>powertrain and then get under the car and wrestle with the transmission in
>that position.
>
>The safety issue comes up because Tony is choosing to work under the car
>when it is not necessary or even useful to do so.

Re-read my most recent post as to the necessity of what I did at the time.

>As for Tree stumps vs. jack stands, all I can say it that there is no way
>to assure the safety of tree stumps,

A foot-thick tree stump is at least as strong as a jack stand and a helluva
lot more stable on grass or plain dirt.

Sometimes the luxury of a paved work surface is not available.

>so I would be loathe to recommend them as a generic replacement for a
>stout pair of jack stands.

On cement or paved surfaces, jackstands are OK.   On grass or dirt, sorry,
I'm gonna pick the stumps.   I value my unbroken bones too much to trust a
jackstand on grass or dirt.   I've seen too many of them fall over.

tony..