<VV> Re: Removing transmission on early Corvairs

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 16 12:32:24 EDT 2005

With regards to transmission removal...I've found it just easier to remove
the whole transmission, differential and engine as a unit.  You avoid the
possiblity of bending the input shaft or dropping the car on one's self.
I've tried it both ways and have to say that pulling the whole thing is
easier.  45 minutes to get it out.  What time are you saving by removing
just the tranny?  What don't you have to remove to do it that way?  Not to
mention all the lube that inevitably will drain out of the junction of the
tranny/differential even if you drain it first.  I used to jack the whole
car up sky high and then cradle the drivetrain on a jack  to lower it but
I've since changed the way I do it now.  Safer!!  I get the entire thing
prepared so that all that remains are the motor mounts.  I loosen them and
then I lower the entire car down to the ground and rest the engine on a
block of wood.  You could also build a "Finch" cart with wheels to drop it
onto.  It was Finch's book that gave me the initial idea for this method of
removal.  I reach under and remove the motor mount bolts and then raise the
car off of the engine.  I don't have to raise it as high that way.  To
reinstall, just reverse the process.  You do need two jacks to do it this
way however.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, more to come!