<VV> Need help with a technical issue

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun Apr 17 09:40:20 EDT 2005

vairpair at att.net wrote:
> Have any of you guys ever used a 3:27 diff, with a turbo in a late model.  Are there any advantages or disadvantages.  Will it cause problems with the turbo spooling etc.  I would appreciate anyones comments, suggestions, advice.
>
> My thoughts are that my highway mileage might improve and run a bit cooler while doing so.????
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Bob Bauer

heh!  My experience with turbos is that gas milage is proportional to
heaviness of foot.  :)

With a longer gear, a normally aspirated car will typically have a lower
acceleration, but with a turbo, the initially slower rate of change of
rpms may provide time to get up to full boost.  Depending on detonation
resistance of the motor, the typically slower acceleration of the longer
gear could be mostly mitigated by the turbo.  I haven't run that gear
ratio, however.

Top speed for a given engine rpm limit will be higher.  A front spoiler
that works may be critical to keep the front end down if you play in
that speed regime.

kirby
66 turbo Corsa 3:55, light in the front with the OEM air dam at 100 mph
95 Audi S6 (turbo) 4:11, just about the opposite weight balance of a
Corvair, much lower drag but may need a rear spoiler over 155 mph.