<VV> new car for me - adventure

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Apr 17 15:06:24 EDT 2005

Glad you're fine!  TRAILER??  I thought you were using a Dolley?  Missed
that!

>>*******************************************************************
Come on, pay attention - there will be a test.
>>*******************************************************************

I don't think your friend has towed much! gg   Tell me...was it a BIG  heavy
rental trailer?  Behind a Big Suburban "1500" [ 1/2 ton truck]??  Bad combo!
Did he pump the tires up on the 'Burb to MAX? [ soft tires exaberate
sway..once it starts....]

>>*********************************************************
I don't think he has as much towing experience as I thought but he has towed cars with this trailer and tow vehicle before - front engine ones though.  It's an '84 Suburban, I don't know if it's 1/2 ton one or not - it's massive though.  The trailer is a custom made one and ways more than the planet Earth as near as I can tell - lots and lots of steel.  Braking of any kind while going down hill would make the "wiggle" worse, acceleration would fix it - except this one last time.  Once the car was oriented "correctly" the rig was rock stable and well behaved.  I don't think the problem was the trailer or tow vehicle - it was the loose nuts behind the wheel.  There smarter now.
>>**************************************************************

A Dolley would've been fine....no tongue weight effects...IMO!

Just to let you know about the "right combo"  and ease of towing.......Herb
Berkman  uses a single axle unit behing a Jeep Cherokee [ small one]  and tows
his Yenko  nicely.....

For years I used [borrowed] a single, and hauled several Vairs behind a S-10
Blazer...70-80 mpg...down BIG  hills...

Sure..a tandem would be better..but only if LIGHT.....U-hauls are
HEAVY.....need 1-ton chassis to pull nicely /safely..

CorvairEd / Ed Corson  sold me a 65....We rolled it on the trailer..I left it
in gear......His son says, "aren't you gonna tie it down?
So I used 1  MC  strap I had.....100 miles over some
mountains..Interstate.......home in 90 minutes.....only when going uphill did
you know something was
back there....

We had very strong and tight straps at the four corners.  They did their job - that car should have been launched during our gyrations but it wasn't.  The damage came from it rocking on its own suspension and contacting the trailer rails.

Let's hope you DRIVE  the car everywhere you go!

you said it brother - no more trailers for my baby.  Well, maybe backwards in an enclosed trailer with me in another vehicle miles away.

Matt Nall
65/66/69/DB/BT
Coos Bay, Ore.