<VV> new car adventure - trailer weight

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Apr 17 15:14:07 EDT 2005

------------------------------

No "little wiggle" is ever fine.  If you get such a condition, re-balance
the load, add an anti-sway device, get a bigger tow vehicle, or park it.

Oh man, you said it.  The "litle wiggle" didn't seem like a problem - but obviously it was but when we switched the car around it was absolutely amazing how stable the rig was - there should be NO wiggles.

>Moral: TOW YOUR CORVAIR BACKWARDS!!!

No, I'm sorry, but this is the wrong conclusion.  It's BALANCE YOUR TRAILER
PROPERLY!!!

I don't disagree with you but given how difficult it can be to determine you overall load let alone whether or not you have 10-15% on the hitch and how easy it is to get it close enough to right by just putting the car on backwards - I say tow it backwards.  If you have the resources to determine your load and how much is on the hitch and can adjust the load to get it right -  do it.  I'm sticking with the backwards thing.  The fact is, we had the car as forward on the trailer as it would go, there was really no other way to get more load forward.  We were just too inexperience to know the symptoms we were seeing were from a too-aft heavy load on the trailer.  We're smarter now - about towing Corvairs anyway.

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net