<VV> To figure balance point - trailer weight

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 17 16:39:14 EDT 2005

The way to get close, is to put the car such that the balance point is
forward of the centerline of the axle (s).  This ensures that you now have
at least the front portion of the trailer with it's tongue weight on the
hitch.

You can determine where the balance point is on your Corvair by jacking it
up by the rocker underside. On a late, use a 2x4 block between the
indentation on the underside of the rocker  and place it up against the
seam. Jack on this block and see where both tires start to come up. On my
2300 lb 66 cpe, the jacking point I use is between the rear of the door and
the front of the rear fender opening.  Just enough forward to get a
jackstand under the pad in front of the rear wheel well, at the end of the
inside of the rocker.  This raises the front first.  So the balance point is
slightly forward of this point.  I load the car in my enclosed trailer
backwards to get the balance point forward of the center between the two
axles.

As a quick check, I use a tape measure, measuring the outside front corner
of the trailer and compare it agaisnt the back corner on level ground.
Turns out for a 24 ft boxtrailer, 1/2" to a 1" down in front is perfect. The
balance inside the trailer changes depending on how many tires and wheels I
have forward of the car.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Chuck S
YS73