<VV> Carter YH issues

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Apr 18 13:07:45 EDT 2005

\At 04:59 hours 04/18/2005, Duane, Jim wrote:
>Tony, I figured you had the bases covered.  Let us know (I know you'll
>find it) what it is!  Good luck!

For what it's worth:

Dismounted the carb, pulled it apart.   Tried blowing air through the idle
mixture screw passage in the iron base casting, no problems.   Again tried
blowing air through the matching passage which exits at the top of the
potmetal casting, no luck, still blocked.   Picked up a can of carb
cleaner, jammed the nozzle against the *bottom* end of the carb passage and
tried to shoot carb cleaner through it from the other direction, no
luck  at first, then with a "pop" the passage unclogged and a blast of carb
cleaner shot out of the top of the bowl where the passage loops through the
top cover.   I didn't find whatever it was which was plugging the carb
passage  (it shot across the driveway) but it's suspect that a flake of
powder coat was the culprit.

In any event, it idles fine now, the idle mixture screw works, car runs
well, Atwood is happy.

Now, Wednesday at the tech session, I get to put a windshield in the same
Spyder.    I never thought the one in it had anything wrong with it, but
evidently it's not perfect, so Atwood turned up a *New* early windshield
and wants it installed.

In exchange for doing it, I get his old windshield...  which will likely go
into my '60 4-door which suffers from clouding edges (among other
things).   I'll have to spring for a new gasket (Atwood's gasket gets
reused since it was already new, recently replaced since the original
wasn't perfect) before I do it, seeing as how the gasket in the '60 4-door
is as brittle as black plaster and split in a dozen places and somehow it
*still* doesn't leak.

The only problem is that the windshield is shaded/tinted and is there for
"incorrect" for a '60 700.    Sacrilege...   so if any anal
factory-original sorts see a ratty '60 4-door under primer with a shaded
tinted windshield, don't start.      ;)

It will give me an excuse to prep and paint the area under the windshield
gasket.    It will be the only spot on the car with good paint.    If
nothing else I can gaze at the factory silver under the gasket and envision
what the car looked like when new.

The weekend also involved other Vair issues, some of them involving the
demise of the big floor jack which suddenly stopped jacking (it's about 5
years old now, was made in China) and is still full of oil and jack #2 is
loaned out to somebody...  which is making removing the errant starter on
the '62 ragtop rather difficult.   This will get corrected in a day or
so.    The Lakewood is soaking in a fancy brand of crankcase flush,
directions said to run the engine until hot, add the flush, run for 3-5
minutes and allow to sit for a while, then drain.   I'm letting it sit
overnight, will drain it when I get off work today.

Interestingly enough, when I started up the Lakewood it sounded for all the
world like it had lost a valve seat, clack-clack and dead miss, no
compression on #3...  then it went "clang" and was idling quiet in about 1
second...  as if it had a valve stuck.    Maybe if it gets run a while and
exercised a bit (with clean oil) it might loosen up a bit.   It doesn't
have much run time since it was pulled out of decades of storage.

I noticed that running the engine after adding the flush did indeed loosen
up something in the crud department because the (original) tube seals began
leaking.    I'll see how interesting everything gets when I finish cleaning
it out and get good oil (and Rislone) and filter back in it, look for other
leaks.

tony..