<VV> re:85 mpg 'carbs' <no corvair>

tom zimmermann s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 10:19:38 EDT 2005

Craig,there's many patents on those,developed by people of varied talents/credentials..big companies hold the rights now,and not just industry-related firms,either..the setup is similar to a propane conversion,which we all know works;tricky part is turning liquid gas to vapor to supply the varying demands of a car using the waste (exhaust) heat;;fwiw,I built a setup in '85 for my '73 350 4x4 Blazer,solving the cold-start issue first-swapped quad for a 2bbl,made an exchanger from 4"oil burner sleeve,flipped R-exh manifold and piped to it w/old (dumpster found) tailpipe etc..without heat,I got the 2nd modified 2bbl to start and run at fast idle--using a **3 hp tecumsa **carb,drove it 15 miles to my moms,swapped back in less than 15 minutes; went home,piped hot air from my 'exchanger' to the intake of 3hp carb and drove it for a week.. no better economy,but I proved it would run 'normal' with a carb with a 3/8" venturi !! Haven't done any more,as the parts got tossed during several
 moves..I expected 35-40 mpg from that 4800 lb truck,reasonably...Tom