<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 133

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 11:15:43 EDT 2005

------------------------------

In a message dated 4/17/2005 1:13:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jimster1 at earthlink.net writes:

Sounds  like there wasn't 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch.  If you  tow
with the hitch too light, the tail will try to wag the dog.  Good  luck
getting your new little beauty patched up and lookin' fine.
Jim  b.
'66 turbovert

I agree with Jim. If your trailer is too short to put the Corvair on  far
enough forward to reach the 10% goal, then turn it around. My last open
trailer
was long enough to just move the car forward and shift the weight to the
ball. When I towed a front engined car (Camaro) on it, I had to place the car
exactly to keep from putting too much weight on the front. I borrowed a neat
scale  (Thanks, Larry!) that sat under the trailer hitch ball and told me
exactly how much weight is going to the hitch. I just moved the Camaro fore
and  aft
until the correct amount was read on the scale. I marked the place for the
center of the front wheels and placed the car in the same place every time. The
 trailer towed straight and true.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette

Listen, if we could have checked the tongue weight we would have.  We SHOULD have been able to tell from the way it was moving that we had a problem but I have no experience trailering and my friend had some but obviously not enough experience.  We both have a lot more now!  Live and learn.  If I ever tow my car regularly (nooooooooo) then I'll get a proper trailer and figure out the proper setup.  This was a one time thing and we thought we had it right - we didn't.  Cars are for driving anyway, not for hauling around like a sofa.  I'm getting mine registered with the DMV today - it'll be on the road before you know it.

mike