Oiling for Re: <VV> Long term engine storage - to rotate or not

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Apr 18 13:17:36 EDT 2005

Paul,
    I do think periodic rotation (every couple of months) is the best idea.
To keep oil from completely draining off the pistons, you can install the
plugs only a few threads and remove them temporarily to squirt oil before rotating
the engine.  I would recommend using a SMALL amount of a metallic based
antiseize compound on the plug threads to avoid damaging the aluminum threads in
the heads.  GM may not have recommended using antiseize on Corvair plugs but
they also never intended Corvair engines to have so many plug reinstalls over 40+
years of operation.  A metallic based compound will help promote heat
transfer from the plug to the head which was probably the General's main concern over
using antiseize.
    Alternatively, you can do what I have done.  That is to fabricate a
pressurized oil supply system to feed about a quart of oil under 40 psi pressure
through the 1/8 in. NPT hole that the oil sender switch plugs into.  I got a
Moroso 1-1/2 qt. accumulator tank which is a vertical aluminum chamber about
3-1/4 in. diameter by 1 foot long.  The top has a Schrader valve (tire pressure
type) and the bottom has a lever action shut off valve (from Home Depot) and a
pressure gauge (Home Depot) with 1/8 in. NPT piping to fit the oil sender
switch hole.  I use a long thin tube fitted temporarily at the bottom to suck up
about 1 qt. of oil through the oil dipstick hole into the accumulator using a
MityVac to supply vacuum.  Then the valve gets shut trapping the oil inside.
The accumulator is attached to the oil pressure sender hole and kept in a mostly
vertical position.  Then 40 psi air pressure is supplied to the accumulator
tank and the valve opened.  The gauge shows the oil pressure on the oil system
of the engine until the quart has been "re-injected", then the gauge goes to
zero and you can hear the sound of air escaping into the engine.  Shut the
valve, disconnect the air supply, remove the accumulator, and reinstall the oil
pressure sender switch.  Then you can rotate the engine about one turn of the
crankshaft using a short handled wrench with a 3/4 inch (or 19 mm) socket on the
end of the crank pulley bolt.
    Frank "the fabricator" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/17/05 10:15:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,