<VV> new car adventure - trailer weight distribution

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 14:01:04 EDT 2005

Folks,

Here in Dallas a few years ago, we had a club member flip his truck, trailer and car due to insufficient tongue weight.
I pull my trailer quite a bit and know my truck well enough to judge the proper amount of tongue weight. If using a borrowed or rented vehicle, have someone stand on the hitch while you observe how much the back of the vehicle sags. Estimate the weight of your trailer combo and watch how much it lowers the back of the vehicle when you hook up and lower the jack. I make sure it drops at least a couple more inches than when my two hundred pound buddy stands on the ball. Roll the trailered vehicle for and aft slightly and you will see the change in height at the hitch.
On my half ton GM, this results in a very slight tail down attitude when viewed from the side. I pull Lates and FCs and they have to be positioned differently on the trailer to achieve this.

Good Luck,
Bill W.