<VV> Renault stories (was: Model name question (Non-Corvair))

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Apr 19 19:04:12 EDT 2005

At 06:40 PM 4/19/05, R. Byers wrote:

>I drove a friend's [Renault] up 95 from Miami to New York one bleary 1969
>Christmas break...

Technically speaking, my first car was a Renault 4CV.  It was given, for
free, to myself and a buddy when I was 16 and he 15.  It did not run, which
was not too big a deal since we did not drive.  But we set about fixing it,
with our collective mechanical know-how... which was zero.

Somehow, we determined that the reason it did not run (it would start but
not remain running) was that the carburetor float had a pinhole and had
filled with fuel.  So, bright guys that we were, we fashioned a new carb
float from a handy material... styrofoam.  As you might guess, the pinholed
float worked better than the styrofoam one...

Ultimately, we gave the car to a classmate who thought it was cute.  We
pushed it to her house, where it sat for the better part of a year before
she gave it to someone else...

--Bob

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net