<VV> Vair + VW

patrick wieber pat_wieber at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 19:28:49 EDT 2005

My bus is a '72 Westfalia camper.The reason I wanted to use the VW trans is two fold. First, some years ago I spent a good amount of $ on the trans. It's been rebuilt with a four spider diff and a tall 4th. Second, I don't happen to have a corvair drivetrain around although I do have the 110 and the adaptor.Does anyone make a kit to mount the vair drivetrain in a bus or do you have to fabricate your own? Would you have to get special driveshafts made (universal joints inner and cv's outer)? It seem like a lot less trouble to adapt the 110 to the VW and fab up a rear mount. The biggest problem seems to be the rotation thing.Am I out of luck in that the VW trans can't be used without reversing the 110 ? I would like to keep the 110 stock rotation so I can use it as a spare for my 180hp should a disaster happen.
Pat Wieber
'65 180 coupe

Harry Yarnell <hyarnell1 at earthlink.net> wrote:
What year is your bus?
I did this to my '72 and '78 bus, but used the corvair transaxle. Worked
like a charm.

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD