<VV> Model name question (Non-Corvair)

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 23:55:28 EDT 2005

I know this is off-Corvair.  But when I was a kid (17)
my first car was a Corvair.  My little brother had a
car, too.  A Renault R-10.  Besides having a
hand-crank  in case it didn't start (yes, the crank
did get used a few times), it also had an "automatic
transmission".  This was (I think) a 4-speed manual
transmission which the brilliant French had rigged
with electric servo motors of some sort to work the
clutch and shift rods.   Being French, it did a
wonderful simulation of someone who had never driven a
straight shift before - it invariably clashed every
gear it shifted into.  Had little skinny Michelin
tires (slightly narrower than bicycle tires as I
recall).

And my brother used to laugh at my Corvair!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on