<VV> Re: model name

Frog Princezz media_diva at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 01:31:37 EDT 2005

And for those of us who have no idea of what you are talking about... lookie lookie

http://www.abc.se/~katriina/history.htm

http://www.renaultcaravelle.com/

In my opinion the caravelle looks alot like a Karman Ghia

Alesia

Back in the late 50's and early 60's Renault sold a couple of different
models of cars. One was called a dauphine (sp) or something like that. What
was the other one, and which one was the larger of the two. If I remember
correctly the larger one was a four door and the smaller one a lower powered 2
door. Both rear engine.

The Dauphine ( Larry Claypool called his the Dope Fiend!) was the larger
(relatively) 4-door Sedan. The nice looking 2-door was the Caravelle. Both had
pretty much the same drivetrain and swing axle rear suspension. I delivered
drugs for Crow Pharmacy in Palo Alto (Not dealed, just delivered!) with a
Renault Dauphine. It had a 4-speed shifter on the floor. A true guess-a-gear model
that trained me well for shifting loose bushing Corvair floor shifters. It
had a roof mounted sign that swung around with the pivot point near the front
of the roof. I got good at setting the sign spinning so that I could just
about cold-cock any passenger getting out of the car, not that I was supposed to
carry anybody else during work. I'm damn lucky I didn't kill myself. A far
cry from that one to Fernando Alonzo's F1 ride! - Seth Emerson

I remember a Caravelle, which was a sporty (pretty) two door, and the
Dauphine which was an upright two-door sedan. I think they also had "Gordini"
performance versions of one or the other. Distant memories all. I've heard that
even when new, the Dauphine was pretty underwhelming in terms of power and
realibility. I remember my dad admiring the Caravelle in its day.
Craig Nicol