<VV> Exhaust manifold repairs

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 10:19:07 EDT 2005

Over the years there have been numerous varieties of broken stud repairs.
The neatest one I ever saw was the cutting off of broken ears completely in
a lathe and threading the end of the manifold.  Then a steel plate with the
same thread was screwed on to the manifold. I believe this was done by the
Heinrich boys in Ohio.  One I have used with success is to grind off the
outer edge of the broken ear so only 180 degrees of hole is left on the
manifold.  Use a grinding disc to clean the old threads out of the hole.
Sometimes you have to grind a square shoulder on the log depending on the
casting.  Lay a 3/8-16 by ? long bolt in each semi-circle and wrap a
stainless steel hose clamp around the manifold to hold the bolts in place.
Use clamps with hex head screws (not screwdriver slots) so you can get lots
of torque on them.  The 180 degrees of original shoulder is enough to take
the load and the clamp keeps the bolts in place.  This is a permanent repair
as the stainless clamp won't rust and even if the bolts rust you can just
replace them next time you do an exhaust job.
Clark Hartzel