<VV> Baffels

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Apr 21 15:03:59 EDT 2005

At 03:35 hours 04/20/2005, Alan and Clare Wesson wrote:
>>more bombs dropped on them (by her country) than had been dropped in all of
>>Europe in World War II? I don't think she gave them any weapons, or money.
>
>Is that really true? Some of the raids on Berlin were over 1000 bombers!
>
>If it is true (and I believe you, Joe!), then Vietnam must have been
>pretty well flat by the time they pulled out!
>
>Cheers
>
>Alan

heh...  didn't look much different either way, before OR after.

And those 1000 plane raids weren't confined to just Berlin.   They happened
to Cologne, Hamburg, Dresden, etc.     Germany *was* damned near leveled by
the time the bombing stopped.    Yet we keep hearing about how 'Nam and
Laos was so heavily bombed...  when most of that ordinance just went into
the jungle, left more swampy craters for the Phukhyew lizards and Reyup
birds.    Charley hardly even slowed down.

Compared to what happened in Europe, "Indochine" got off easy.

Now, a small percentage of one of those airplanes that likely dropped those
bombs on Europe is residing under the deck lid of my '60 4-door, which is a
peace loving vehicle out to get along with everybody, even Mustang owners.

And, it has baffles...  but no baffels.

This "WW-II reflection" post tends to remind me of the "incident" that
happened at Frankfurt International Airport involving two airline pilots
(Lufthansa, and British Airways) and the ATC tower.    No urban myth, this,
was taped by the ATC as per policy for radio exchanges between tower and
aircraft.   Another exchange between a United pilot and Frankfurt ATC
happened about that same time, was every bit as interesting.

It evidently was NOT that TC's day...

Speaking of baffles:

Why is it that mice can somehow find their way into those tight confines
and pack them with upholstery cotton so as to smell like a ghetto apartment
fire when the engine is finally started again after years of unmonitored
storage...?    And that doesn't include the wads of tan colored greasy
cotton residing around the exhaust manifolds to catch fire and smolder for
an hour afterwards.

...started the engine back up later on, blew out a bunch of ashes and
sparks onto my feet from the lower shrouds whose damper doors were wide
open from the heat of the smoldering cotton.    This, while I was standing
behind the engine goosing the throttle in an attempt to "clean out" the
flooded engine that resulted from my playing with throttle linkage for ten
minutes, all the while wondering why the engine was still stinky-smoking
out the upper shroud.

It's always something.

tony..