<VV> Re: EM auto to a stick

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Apr 22 14:25:20 EDT 2005

At 06:56 hours 04/22/2005, penneyracer1 wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>            I have a question. I have a '64 auto almost ready for the
> road. The other day I was looking at my '63 conv. and thinking the four
> speed would be really nice to have in the '64. My question is how
> complicated and how long would it take to transfer everything over to
> make the auto into a 4 speed? I already know I would have to get a '64
> transaxle. Thanx in advance.

I'd shop around for a straight-drive parts car.   There's a lot to swap
over.   4-speed to PG is easy; PG to 4-speed isn't.

You will need the clutch-brake pedal assembly.  You will need the 4-sp
gearbox mount-support bracket (if it's not already on the gearbox).  You
will need a shifter assembly with shift coupler.  You will need to mount
the pulleys for the clutch cable...  there are three.   You'll of course
need a clutch cable, a flywheel, clutch plate, disk,  release bearing,
throwout fork, and a pilot bushing for the crankshaft.  You'll need a
manual shift belhousing and crankshaft oil seal and likely an oil pan
gasket.  While you're at it and since everything is out, replace the axle
yoke seals and input shaft seal in the transaxle, cheap insurance.  You
will also need to run wires to the backup light switch, PG switch is in the
dash while 4-sp switch is on the gearbox.

Somebody correct me if I forgot anything.

...you can leave the PG shifter in the dash, make uninformed people ask
questions, but I would remove the PG shift cable and sell it to someone who
needs one.

Add to this the mounting hardware for the lot.

A parts car, even if it's just a hulk, will make things easier.    There
are rusted into uselessness '64 4-speed cars out there yet.

tony..