<VV> '64 Radio Question--speaker suggestions?

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Apr 22 16:56:05 EDT 2005

Darn tough.

Here's what I did in a late to give my wife tunes.

-Underdash head unit (in black plastic box) with cd changer controls
-12 disc changer in trunk (Velcroed down)
-2 two way 6" speakers in place of the stock dash speaker; driven by the head unit
-2 piezo supertweeters at the base (or top in my coupe) of each a-pillar with built-in corssovers; driven by the head unit. These open the sound field and
give you the impression of better stereo separation.
-RCA out of the head unit to a 3x100W amp under the passenger seat (with adj volume and crossovers)
-Cheap 6x9's (would have bought better quality if doing agin) dropped into junkyard sidepanels covered with vintage speaker covers from Ebay for the
period look. Driven by 2 channels of the amp
-2 Bass Shaker Pros (think of these as subwoofers that don't move air) driven in series by the third channel of the amp with the crossover sending them only
the low frequencies. One under the driver's seat, one under the center of the rear seat. These give you the impression of serious bass. (I use a set in my
home theatre as well!)

Good part: very low key look with exceptionally good sound (for a convertible)
Better part: Using Ebay and Walmart, total was under $500.
Best part.... only 6 1/16" holes drilled in the car (2 each for the shakers, 2 for the amp). Everything reversible in an hour.

http://fnader.com/images/Corvair_Monza_Convertible_67/Stereo/

Bill Elliott