<VV> '64 Radio Question--speaker suggestions?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 22 16:39:01 EDT 2005

Hi, Bruce,
Not too sure what to do on an early, but I'll tell you what I did on my '65.

When I built the '65 convert 25 years ago, I put in factory air, but never
got around to charging it, so it came out over the years.

When I got tired of the sorry audio situation I pulled the balls out of the
two side A/C vents in the dash, painted them black to match the dash, and
mounted 4" drivers behind them.  I cut down the metal grills that came with
the speakers and pressed them into the back side of the vent bezels so they
ended up where the balls were originally.

There is a large hole in the "firewall" into the trunk where the A/C
evaporator came through.  I mounted a 10" sub-woofer enclosure that I built
so that the sub fires through the hole.  The amps are mounted to the
enclosure in the trunk.

The center A/C vent got replaced with the CD player.

The system sounds good, especially considering it's all pawn shop stuff.  If
you're a real audio freak, you'll know that there's too much spread between
the available frequency range of 4" drivers and the sub, and that you really
need some midrange drivers.  But, it's a convertable - how good can it
sound?  I just set the crossover frequency for the sub up around 200 Hz to
fill the hole.  Makes it a little boomy when listening to some talk radio,
but it's fine for music.  Most folks wouldn't notice.  My kids, who I've
designed and installed systems for in their cars, think it's great.  It's
much better than the factory stuff.

Your kids will want a little more power than you'll get out of a CD or
radio.  At 70 mph, a CD player alone is pretty marginal volume wise -
especially with the top up and drumming.  I'm running a 2X50 watt amp for
the 4" drivers and a 200 watt amp for the sub, which is about right unless
you have the urge to rock the neighbors.

I can send pics if you like.

Roger