<VV> Oh the horror!

Rick Loving ral1963 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 16:34:13 EDT 2005

Since you want to "drive" the vair, like they should be) I wouldn't despair.
Buy some POR-15 (Ebay, Web, or vendors) and some fiberglass cloth.

The only prep is rough wire brushing to break and really loose stuff off and
a quick vacuum with the shop vac.  The POR-15 "likes" a rough surface to
really stck to.

Paint the POR-15 onto the floor boards, while wet, lay the fiberglass cloth
into the wet paint and brush it into the paint with the paint brush.  While
the paint is tacky, continue to put additional layers over the cloth until
all the area has a surface of paint.

When it is dry you will have a very nice solid black floor that will last
many more years.

This is less than $50 and 2 hours of work and leaves a very nice finish.  I
I first decide to do this when I was given a paper towel (yes a paper towel,
like Bounty the quicker picker upper) that had been painted over a piece of
chicken coop wire.  I couldn't believe how much strength it added as well as
the fact it seemed to turn into a fiber glass material.

Since you have the carpet out brush as much as the POR-15 onto any area that
has surface rust.

The POR-15 is very staining, so wear rubber gloves and old clothes as it
takes weeks to come off of skin and will never come out of cloths.

I have a spot the size of a quarter on my driveway that has been there for
years from when it dripped out of the hole in my floorboards when I was
painting it.

Rick Loving
(HAS POR-15'ed 4 vairs to date)

Subject: <VV> Oh the horror!

Hey everyone,
<SNIP>
We took out the seats and pulled out the carpet to get a better look at the
hole in the floor pan.  The back floor is good, the passanger side needs
help the drivers side is far worse than I expected.  Oh the horror!  When I
saw exactly how bad that was I wanted to cry!  I think my hopes and dreams
of driving her for my birthday are completely out the window.  I don't think
that just getting new floor pans and supports are gonna do the trick so I'm
kind of at a loss of what it's gonna take to fix her.    Oh well I'll figure
something out.