<VV> Re: Welding aluminum heads

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 22:12:04 EDT 2005

Chuck:

Although it is true that aluminum can be welded with an oxy fuel torch and
flux, the best welding process selection is Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (Tig)
with silicon enhanced filler metal such as a 4043 or 4047.

Preheat is desirable. (700 degrees F) and the material should be cleaned as
well as possible prior to welding.

Grinding may be required to remove imbedded oil, but two or three passes
(followed by grinding on each pass) will work wonders.

I published a paper (as a co-author) on aluminum welding if you want a copy.

Regards, Garth