<VV> Gasoline Octane - Good enough for your Turbo?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 13:02:40 EDT 2005

Last week I whined about the 91 octane gas in California. Last Friday I
found a local Union 76 station that handles the 100 octane Unleaded gas at  a
normal island pump. It was expensive, $4.35 a gallon, but a half-tank fill-up
from my 91 base gave me a full tank of no-knocking full  throttle acceleration in
the Vette. Too expensive for daily use, but I  don't need it daily. And 91
octane Premium is up to $2.89/Gallon anyway!

In other Gas news. I carried a bunch of Corvair parts from San Jose  to
Larry's Corvair Parts in Gardena, CA (360 miles one-way) on  Saturday. Unloaded and
reloaded other parts for my Corvair, turned around and  drove right back, all
in my Chevy Avalanche on Regular gas. 19.8 MPG  average - running at about 65
MPH on Interstate 5. I listened to XM  satellite radio almost all the way. I
even heard it through the  Grapevine!  Exactly 13 hours door-to-door-to-door,
including parts loading.  Then I took a nap!

- Seth Emerson