<VV> brake lockup

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Apr 27 11:32:55 EDT 2005

So now we understand the term "all sorted out" in relation to  restoration!
<ggg>  This kind of stuff is perfectly normal.  You  just have to sort things
out one at a time until everything gets  "happy".

Several possible explanations come to mind:
Not enough clearance between the shoe and drum so that when things get  hot
and expand, the brakes apply themselves.
Bad return springs
Sticking parking brake cable (was it readjusted/loosened when the new  shoes
went in?)
Bad brake hose trapping pressure
Water in the wheel cylinder (boiling)
Out of round drum in combination with one of the above.
I would suggest that the master cylinder isn't returning to the "open  port"
(fully released) state except that you only mention a problem on one wheel
and that would usually affect more than one wheel.

The spongy pedal is likely due to boiled fluid in the wheel cylinder and
should return to normal with a good bleeding.

BTW These things don't happen in your Honda Minivan because every one of  the
above items is specified, measured, and quality controlled.   It has always
amazed me that the #1 most critical safety system is considered a  DIY
operation. While this says a lot about the basic robust nature of the  design, your
experience is one of the rare examples where things did go  wrong.  You'll just
have to dig into it and find out where things aren't  right and there are
likely multiple issues.  Was this the brake shoe  set that wouldn't fit into the
drum that we discussed on VV a week or more  back?
Keep us posted on what you find.
Craig (one of my three pulls hard left when cold and I can't find  why) Nicol
65,66,67

SO I'm on my way to the Tidewater Corvair Club social meeting to  show off my
new convertible but I never make it because my right rear brake  locked up
tight.  ... There was smoke coming from the wheel and it was  HOT!  After it
cooled down (30 minutes or so) it let go and the car would  move.  I had it towed
home though.  The brakes work but are very soft  - need a good bleeding at
least.