<VV> EFI conversions

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Thu Apr 28 11:45:56 EDT 2005

About six years ago, the late Frank Siebenborn, a member of San Diego CC, had
Turbo City in Orange, Calif., install an EFI system on his 140 engine.  He
said he did it to eliminate the clunky and complex carb linkage which he had to
tinker with too often, and of course to try to get more power for his
autocrossing.

The system used a single GM throttle body injector working through a
long-tubed manifold. Its electronic controls were in a small box stored under the rear
seat of his '63(?) coupe (into which the 140 engine had been previously
swapped). The system cost him $2,000 installed. It was a generic product that can
be adapted to almost any engine, as I recall. (Do a Google on Turbo City and
you'll get contact info.)

Frank was pleased with it and had numbers that proved he indeed got better
acceleration and elapsed times through the coned courses. And he was rid of the
troublesome four-carb linkage, not to mention the carbs themselves. He later
grew tired of autocrossing and sold the car for less than the cost of the EFI
system. Some of us cringed, as we might have bought the beat-up coupe just to
get the EFI.

--Tom Berg
Bonsall, Calif.

***