<VV> Re: OIL TECHNOLOGY

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Fri Apr 29 11:26:49 EDT 2005

regards, tim colson

No flames, Tim, but we ran this subject into the ground a couple of weeks ago.  I learned a lot about ring-seating, honing, and oils from some very well-informed people on this list.

I think the consensus on rebuilt engines was, it's a good precaution to run regular oil for the first 1K or so, changing once or twice before 5K, then OK to go synthetic after that.

As far as "new" engine precautions go, there don't seem to be any with regard to synthetic oil.  Some OEMs put synth in there at the factory.

Michael Smith
Dallas