<VV> Re: [V8Vairs] Don Wilcox

akidd at zeagna.com akidd at zeagna.com
Fri Apr 29 13:54:46 EDT 2005

well isn't that called blowing your own horn :-)

Rick & Janet Norris <rickjanet at charter.net> said:

> Group,
> I just spotted an article in the local newspaper (Charleston Gazette) that
announces the retirement of Don Wilcox as director of the West Virginia
University Bands.
> For those of you who do not know, he was the "hot shoe" driving a Ted
Trevor prepared (Crown) Corvair powered dune buggy in the hot bed of
autocrossing in Southern California during the 1965-66 season in which they
won 25 out of 26 top time of day. Drag out your copy of How To Hot Rod
Corvair Engines and turn to page 28. At the top right is a picture of Don
posing with the dune buggy (which he still has!) and all the hardware they
won.
> Don came to West Virginia in 1971 and has been at WVU since. The band which
is known as the pride of West Virginia has 340 members and has performed all
around the world.

http://www.corvair.org/