<VV> Steer Me

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 09:45:25 EDT 2005

Hi Tom, Seth Emerson is the guy to talk to about the steering box.   Here's
my input: You are planning to put a '69 column in your '66.  I'm  sure that you
are already aware that the steering column support under the dash  is
different on the '69 column - you'll have to get a little creative  there.  Even the
"U" shaped cutout in your Corsa dash will have to be  massaged slightly.  Less
obvious is the requirement for late-late clutch  pedal hardware. The pedal
offsets to the left (vs right on 5-6) to provide space  for the larger column.
The crossshaft is longer too.  This is a good time  to update to the 69 clutch
cable that replaces the soft metal ball-end with a  heim joint. AFIK, the
floor flange is different too.  Finally, the '69  column places the steering wheel
4" closer to the driver. In my '67 I had to  move the seat back 4" to
compensate.
Hope this is useful!
Craig Nicol

<snip>I have just received the Flaming River steering box. I am  putting it
in the 66. I may do away with the original steering column and  universals and
all that other stuff. I have a column out of a 69, collapsible  and goes right
to the box... Thanks Tom  Wright  <unsnip>