<VV> oil filter and alternator mount bolts...

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 07:56:59 EDT 2005

Keep in mind, that bolts are elastic. The number of threads picking up the
load will be whatever it takes. In steel, if you torque to yield, it's more
than  three threads. If only three threads picked up the load in a torque to
yield  application, most bolts would start to strip! So, clearly there's more
going on  here. The bolt will stretch and deform, either elastically or
plastically to  equalize the load as needed.

In a message dated 7/31/2005 10:37:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,