<VV> 140 vs 180

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 12:29:08 EDT 2005

I've been looking for a sports Corvair to add to the stable while I'm
working on rebuilding the engine on the '65 sedan.  I want to know what
the group thinks about the advantages and disadvantages of owning a 180
vs a 140.  For example, dropping valve seats, ease of tune-up, low
speed horse power (heard the 180 can be anemic until the boost kicks in
  :( , ect.    I've seen 140's with a  single carburetor located over
the blower.  How well do these work, and are there any performance
gains in hp or significant loss of mpg.

Musing while I await my rebuild replacement cylinders, rings, lifters,
and gaskets.

Stephen Upham