<VV> Failed Convention Car

Ron ronh at owt.com
Mon Aug 1 18:17:02 EDT 2005

Those at the banquet may recall the first hard luck tale about the '61 that barely made it, and it's a wonder that it did as it had no perimeter seals, no front shroud and the recirc holes were wide open. (The owner is new to Corvairs and not technically up on cars of any kind)  Anyway, he had a little over 200 miles to go home and he didn't make in spite of all of the corrective action taken during the convention.  The problem seems to be that he kept saying it was the transmission and we didn't believe it as it seemed to be shifting just fine when test driven.
About a hundred miles from Portland the new PG fluid was checked and was burned brown and smoking on the dipstick!
Question:  What can cause a PG to overheat so severely?  One of our club members is guessing that it has to be the converter and does anyone have any experience with this?  The car was trucked the last third of it's way home.

RonH