<VV> q: late model diff into early

Chuck Kamas ckamas at dslextreme.com
Mon Aug 1 19:31:36 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to get my corvan back on the road.  In a previous email I had posted about my pinion gear missing 2 teeth and the
consensus is that I should rebuild / replace the diff.  I have access to two late model differentials.  I know this because it has the
bolted in yokes and the mounts for the lower arms.  One is currently mounted to a 3 speed manual transmission and the other came
out of an automatic.  Can I unbolt the yokes and use either one or the other of this differentials in my 4 speed corvan?  Or do I need
to "swap the guts"?  If I swap the guts what is the secret to getting it right (alignment and torq).  What new gaskets do I need to order
from my favorite vendor?

Thanks
The original Chuck