<VV> oil filter and alternator mount bolts...

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Mon Aug 1 22:47:30 EDT 2005

One ME at work remembered a rule of thumb that 90% of the torque was
taken up by three threads, but could only guess that he read it in
Shigley (presumably "Mechanical Engineering Design" edition unknown).
The guess was it was due to tolerances in thread forming.

My quick scan of one edition of Shigley showed the following on page
320: "Three full threads are all that are required to develop full bolt
strength."  This is a somewhat different point than the above, and
suggests that if more threads are engaged, the bolt is the weak element.
  Of course, then one has to ask why threads are ever stripped in the
mating hole.

On the subject of strength: Shigley reports the following SAE minimums

Grade 2 55k psi yield
Grade 5 85k psi yield
Grade 8 120k psi yield

For static conditions, a low safety factor of 1.1 was recommended, but
for dynamic conditions (that I think was the justification for higher
bolt grades in an earlier message here) the required safety factors are

Grade 2: 2.2X
Grades 5 and 8: 3X

Thus, the tensile limits that should be applied are

Grade 2 25k psi
Grade 5 28k psi
Grade 8 40k psi

kirby