<VV> Gas overflow

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 00:08:01 EDT 2005

Besides the theory that my car is manufacturing gasoline (which I have not ruled out - I have noticed this car gets surprisingly good mileage), the consensus is that I filled a tank with cold gasoline, let it get hot and expand, and (amazingly enough!) it outgrew it's confines.
<<I just went outside and saw a puddle of gasoline under my '62 daily driver just behind the front wheel.  It was dribbling out of the drain tube from the gas door pocket.  I opened the gas door and removed the gas cap and gasoline ran out until it was level with the top of the filler.  I replaced the cap and left it a few minutes, then observed that it was still dribbling (less) and again removed the cap and had it run out.  What would cause this?  I've never had this happen before!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on