<VV>Fanz, and how they work

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Tue Aug 2 08:47:48 EDT 2005

	With a mechanical fan, you're constrained to the variable engine
speed.  Play with pulleys and clutches all you want, when the "heat is
on", there are compromises.

	Introduce an electric fan and the
engineer/designer/Vairologist/inventor controls the RPM.  Inertia,
mechanical loss, and blade design all look a whole lot easier to handle
IMHO.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Kirby Smith
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:33 AM
To: Ron
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV>Fanz, and how they work

If the temperature rise were unmeasurable, then the fan's mechanical
efficiency would be 100%, or else the fan would not be moving any air.
In that case its load would be zero, and all power used by the cooling
system would be going into the bearings and fan belt.

Conservation of energy still applies, even in Corvairs.

kirby