<VV> Corvair/Engine test stands

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Aug 2 10:35:19 EDT 2005

Bob

My first Corvair Mentor, Anthony "Big Tony" Miceli, had an engine running from a metal 5 gallon gas can as a display on a sheet of cardboard, on the blacktop in a parking lot in the booming metropolis of Amite, LA during a car show once. I was amazed at how little it rocked/vibrated at idle.

When I was a little shaver, I used to enjoy watching the Corvair test stands when the public was allowed (once a year) to tour the Tonawanda Engine Plant. They ran them on Propane, from what I was told. Perhaps this was to make sure the lifters weren't clacking before they loaded the engines into boxcars for the trip to Willow Run, St. Louis, Canada or LALA Land.

 Not too many guys left around from the line in those days, but perhaps we might meet a few if there is sufficent advance media coverage of Buffalo 06.
Hank