<VV> Corvair/Engine test stands

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 2 15:12:35 EDT 2005

At 07:35 hours 08/02/2005, kaczmarek at charter.net wrote:
>Bob
>
>My first Corvair Mentor, Anthony "Big Tony" Miceli, had an engine
>running from a metal 5 gallon gas can as a display on a sheet of
>cardboard, on the blacktop in a parking lot in the booming
>metropolis of Amite, LA during a car show once. I was amazed at how
>little it rocked/vibrated at idle.

I don't recall how many Vair engines I've started and ran on a piece
of plywood or a couple of boards or on the grass or even hanging from
the engine picker by chains bolted to the corners of the engine.   I
started a couple on a bench in the basement.    Another got started
sitting on two old tires (at Richard B's shop).   Another one was
started and test-run on a sidewalk behind Dallas Mangus's
garage.    Several more were started and test run in the basement in
winter (cold outside) which tended to smoke up the basement during
valve adjustments etc.     (do NOT start with me on that cold adjust thing)

The engine I have that's slated to go into the "Hersheybar" is likely
gonna get test run while sitting on the wooden crate it's currently
perched on at the moment... although it and the crate will go outside
the shed before this happens so as to keep the fumes out... now that
my engine picker ram cylinder has been rebuilt and is in good shape
again this won't be such a problem picking up engines to put on my
nifty little roll-around flat-bed wagon-cart that's so handy for
transporting Vair driveline components around the place.     Now that
I think about it, I'm gonna need to test-run another old Vair engine
I've had stashed away for a decade or more ('63 vintage 102hp), so as
to check it out and put it in that dune buggy frame, see if it can be
made to move under its own power etc. seeing as how the 140hp in it
now is a stuck/seized boat anchor that spent about ten years too many
sitting exposed to the elements.  I'm questioning as to whether or
not it can actually be taken apart without having to use a
hammer...    more later on that endeavor.   Of course I could always
just slip an 80hp '60 engine into the buggy...  word has it that I'm
likely gonna be taking possession of one before too much longer,
coming out of a *really* nice rock solid rust-free '64 4-door 900
which is gonna get a correct 164ci engine, owner has no interest in
the 80hp engine, said if I want it come and get it and carry it off
when he swaps it out.   Of course I told him that as soon as he lets
me know it's out, I'll make it gone.

Anymore, if *any* complete decent running Vair engine becomes
available for free I'm on it like flies on dog doody.   For that
matter, if a good condition Vair engine comes available for a decent
price and is close enough to be practical to go get, I'm likely to be
looking at loading up the picker in the truck and taking a drive.

It's the packrat in me...   got a couple of future projects which
might be needing engines...

>When I was a little shaver, I used to enjoy watching the Corvair
>test stands when the public was allowed (once a year) to tour the
>Tonawanda Engine Plant. They ran them on Propane, from what I was told.

It's my understanding that GM test-ran all its engines and they ran
them on propane via a clamp-on fixture.  This goes for in-line
engines as well as V8s etc.   In fact, V8 engines were balanced the
hard way, by hand, while being run on propane without any oil pan on
the engine, oil coming from an external feedline and sensors attached
to the engine which was spun up and strobes aimed at the crank
indicated where to drill the counterweights etc.   I watched a
documentary film demonstrating how this was all done...  that was a
sloppy job, bet it paid well.

At least that's how they were doing it then.

>Perhaps this was to make sure the lifters weren't clacking before
>they loaded the engines into boxcars for the trip to Willow Run, St.
>Louis, Canada or LALA Land.
>
>  Not too many guys left around from the line in those days, but
> perhaps we might meet a few if there is sufficent advance media
> coverage of Buffalo 06.
>Hank

I was sorta kinda hoping that some of the old engine plant guys might
still be living around the area and might be talked into maybe
speaking during a lecture or two...?

Anybody know any of these guys?    I'd certainly like to hear what
they have to say about the engine assembly lines.

tony..