<VV> satellite radio--(NO CORVAIR) - longish

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 11:28:35 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/2/2005 7:36:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Wrsssatty at aol.com writes:

<Go  with XM Radio>

What's wrong with Cirus (spelling?)

Bill  Stanley

When I bought my Avalanche Tow Vehicle in December 2001, GM was not yet
offering XM in their trucks. I bought an aftermarket Sony XM add-on radio and  had
it installed with an external FM Modulator (feeds through the antenna  plug)
This radio also offered a home system dock with line level outputs to a
Stereo. I have the dock next to my computer in my home office. The reason I  moved
to XM was the same reason I bought OnStar in the Truck. Long runs, by  myself.
In 2002, I towed a race car to Topeka Kansas, by myself. XM offered a
continuity that local radio missed - Out in the "hinterlands" of America, you  could
get talk radio, Mariachi music and Spanish commentary, or lousy country
music (not good country music, bad stuff) and it changed every 100 miles or so.
You never knew if the station was coming or going. The comedy channels on XM
were usually enough to keep me awake. I also found out that there is, in  fact,
something more boring than watching NASCAR racing on TV - listening to it  on
the radio!  Last fall when I bought a Corvette, it already had XM and  OnStar
installed. I added the second car to my XM account. The only thing  XM radio
lacked was any NPR presence. I could not listen to several shows I had  come
to like. But for local driving, they are on the regular FM radio. Since my
brother is an NPR addict, and Fry's electronics had the AudioVox Sirius radios
on sale, he bought a portable Sirius system to play in his car. I picked one up
 also, and he added me to his account. I keep it installed in my shop, where
I  build the Ignition wiresets. Nothing like 60's music to keep you going late
at  night. A little Beach Boys usually perked me right up! If the Motown gets
 too heavy, a jump to the 80's music does the trick. Costs - Okay, I admit
it, I  am a tech junkie. The XM radio monthly fee just went up. It was $10/
month  now $13. The second radio is another $7. The music channels have no
commercials, but everything else does - including the Comedy channels. My  brother
is picking up the Sirius costs, but I will be "paying" him back,  probably via
a magazine subscription or Autocross entries. <grin> I think  his wife thinks
of me as the "Tech Devil", always offering new vices! I must add  that the 13
hour drive back from the Portland convention to San Jose, was eased  by
listening to a Books-on-CD novel in the truck. If you have to travel, you  might as
well be entertained!  - Seth  Emerson