<VV> AM radio

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Aug 2 22:48:09 EDT 2005

At 02:01 hours 08/02/2005, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Until about the late '50s, WLS was the "Prairie Farmer" station.  Heard
>things like the price of hogs and cattle and what the weather was doing on
>that station.  My crystal radio kit set (I was a youngster then) would ONLY
>bring in that station since the broadcast tower was about 2 1/2 miles from
>our home.  Yes, when they went to Rock (then called Rock and Roll) AFAIK,
>Biondi was one of their early regulars.  By then, I was listening on a
>portable "tubeless" (transistor) radio.
>
>This would have been about roughly the same time (required content)
>that Corvairs were hitting the show rooms.

Throughout the '60s, I was staying up at nights to listen to several
clear-channel stations, one of them being WLS, another was WCFL, and
The One I spent most time paying the most attention to was WBZ out of
Boston, with Dick Summer and The Nightlight Show.

It was THE best thing on radio that I ever heard, then or
since.   Had everything, music and humor and satire and music
industry news.    And, it had the golden voice of Dick Summer doing
his thing.    He occasionally would spin up a silly little "ditty"
song, composed of mainly nonsense of the sort that Monte Python would
have appreciated.

"They're moving grandpa's grave to build a sewer..."

"Please, wait!   Don't desecrate, don't excavate... poor... grandpa...!"

Damn I miss those days.

tony..