<VV> fanz - SPAL #30102113

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 04:55:34 EDT 2005

JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

> Hmmm... looks like the right flow rate, but the pressure is FAR
> lower than what a Corvair fan generates.

I don't know the testing scenario that produced Spal's static pressure
figures - maybe it is in free air ...

Perhaps a better question though would be, "Why is there such a pressure
build up in the Corvair, around 10" at higher rpms?"

Isn't compressing air a great waster of energy? Is the 'pressure' a
'requirement' to cool a Corvair? Or is it merely a sign of a poor
fin/shroud design? Or is it the turbulence factor impeding the flow?
What is the cause of this pressure build-up?

I believe it has been mentioned here that the water pumper radiator is
designed to flow a high volume of air -- could the Corvair cool just as
well at a lower flow rate with less pressure build up? The data makes it
look like pressures start to build around 3000 (engine) rpm.

Just thinking out loud -- any ideas?

Regrettably, my query of Spal-usa about their data via email has not
been successful:
   SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<oem at spal-usa.com>:
    host spal-usa.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net [216.183.119.101]:
    551 Mailhost is on our global blacklist

Bill S