<VV> fanz - SPAL #30102113

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 17:16:52 EDT 2005

ronh at owt.com wrote:

> that is the pressure needed to get enough air flow through the fins
> to cool it adequately.

Please cite the source of your data. We know there is a pressure
build-up -- GM supplied the data -- does the same article address a
'need' for this pressure, or like you, is it just assumed?

There is some evidence of wasted energy in the fan system -- could using
a fan as an air compressor account for this waste? Ten inches of water
is about 1/3 of a psi. This compressed air flow probably in itself
produces a turbulence through the cooling fins which is not conducive to
maximizing flow rates -- max flow occurs with a more laminar flow
(example: polished intake ports), ie, if the fan wasn't trying to over
blow the cooling air, would more air actually flow through the fins?
Would more air mean a cooler engine? Or would it be cooler with a more
turbulent flow? Did GM engineer it this way, or did they just settle for
a system that sorta worked with the technology/money that was available?
Their concept cammer engine had three vertically oriented axial fans --
is there any data for this motor?

These are just questions -- does anyone know of data in the literature
to support or deny any of this?

Is there any data for air flow out the bottom/back of the engine, either
volume or temperature? Is it related to say rpm or horsepower or oil
temp?

> Since a fan [he means an electric, I presume] can only develop 10% of
> the pressure of the Corvair blower at the required mass flow rate ...

Again, where do you get the information about max pressure developed by
an electric fan such as the ones under discussion? Did you find a
definition of what Spal calls 'Static pressure' and their test method?

I really think that there is a possibility that there are some
unanswered questions concerning the Corvair cooling system that if we
had answers for, we could perhaps prolong the life of these little cars
that we so like to drive -- new heads are getting harder to find these
days and if anyone starts up a reproduction run, would we be able to
afford them if they did? We probably need to preserve what we've got,
and any new information that may show a better way to operate our little
cars should not just be dismissed because "we've always done it *this*
way."

Drive On!

Bill Strickland