<VV> Mo' Fanz

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 3 17:15:03 EDT 2005

> > Perhaps a better question though would be, "Why is there such a pressure
> > build up in the Corvair, around 10" at higher rpms?"

A) all of that comes from one line on the graph on page 24 of the 140
"Stock Engine Test" labeled "Obs. Plenium Pressure" which in truth does
show 10 " H2O at 4500 and about 7 at 3500. Frankly the line on the same
graph "Obs. Cooling Air Flow" which shows about 1300 cfm at 3500 and 1650
at 4800 to be more important.  Has anyone instrumented the electric fans to
determine just what the flow rate is ? Until someone does that we are all
just guessing.

Further, a lot matters on *where* that pressure reading was taken: the air
is coming off the outer edge of the fan with considerable velocity and to a
stationary pressure sensor, that would be interpreted as pressure. I really
cannot tell from the booklet. Remember 27 in H2O = 1 psi so we are talking
on the order of 1/4 psi at 3500 rpm. Not much and the air is definitely not
stationary. In fact with an electric fan, the air is being accellerated in
a straight line - down toward the cyl and block while the air is coming off
the stock fan is making one right angle turn off the edges and another to
reach the cylinders.

So can come up with a number of possible reasons that a pressure sensor
would be correct but not representative and what we care about is flow, not
pressure.

Anyone have a flowmeter that reads to at least 1500 CFM ?

Padgett