<VV> Some Convention reports

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 11:54:58 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/4/2005 4:49:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bwschug at charter.net writes:

I  haven't seen any real reports as to what happened at the Convention.
Why  not? Were you all sworn to secrecy until the Convention issue of
the  Communique comes out? By now there have usually been several
reports and  the complaining about what was wrong is going full steam
ahead.

Who  won what? How were the events?

Bruce W.  Schug

Those who sat through the Banquet may still be arriving home!  Warren
Leveque won the FTD Don Yenko award. BIll Jabs took the William L. Mitchell  Award
for the highest score in the Concours. Richard Jenkins won the Edward M.  Cole
award for participation and performance. This is all from memory, so I
apologize in advance for any errors.
The Autocross was a bit small, but used enough of the available lot to  be
"just" safe enough. Lots of Concrete close by. Again Corsa allowed an  SCCA-type
course, (put on by the local SCCA folks) with gates and pointer cones,
(grrr) causing lots of DNFs due to drivers missing gates.  One driver  I watched,
from my corner worker position, missed the same gate on all three of  his runs.
Three DNFs. That sucks. Of course, the novices who miss those gates  are the
least likely to complain. Buffalo, I believe, will use a circle-track  based
location, perhaps using chicanes to keep speeds in the safe range.  I am trying
to keep gated courses out of Corsa Autocrosses. SCCA runs them  at their
National Championships, so many local regions run them as practice.  But gated
courses result in more DNFs, at least at Corsa events. I  missed a gate twice,
despite walking the course. My failure -I admit! But it is  so easy to draw the
same exact course without gates, placing the cars in the  same line, but
making it impossible to get lost!  Okay, enough whining for  now.
I'm sure NECC will have PIR results up on their web site soon. Warren won
that one too!  This was the first time I saw the Roe car in competition and  it
looked very nice. Warren had a crossover pipe problem at the track, but had
it fixed by the autocross.

- Seth Emerson   ace/2  reporter         - (as in "half ace"  reporter)