<VV> Re: bolts loosening

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 13:15:37 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/4/2005 9:57:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
djtcz at comcast.net writes:

But on a  gasketed surface it would merely keep the bolt from un-winding when
the gasket  crept after initial compression.  This would keep the situation
from  getting worse, but the initial gasket compression can be pretty
significant. <snipped>   Pressed steel pans and covers usually need local
straightening first, which  suggests to me they need reinforcement (like the valve cover
clamps) to  provide even clamping.

I agree. My system for stock valve cover retaining is to glue the
cork/composite gasket to the clean valve cover, let it sit overnight on a flat  surface
with a stack of books on it so the gasket will be seated, then grease  the
face of it and install it over studs on the head. I install the clamps then  tall
hex nuts which are drilled across the open top for safety wiring. I torque
the nut down to the point where a fingernail will just fit between the holddown
 clamp and the cover, then safety wire each upper and lower pair together.
Even  if the gasket does compress some, the preload on the holddown clamp will
retain  the pressure on the gasket face. With the greased face, the gasket
always comes  off with the valve cover, allowing easy valve adjustment access. I
have never  had one leak.  - Seth Emerson