<VV> gas gauge

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Fri Aug 5 09:51:29 EDT 2005

Bruce, my '65 Corsa gauge points at 3 o'clock when it's full.  I asked about
this one time, and I know someone had the answer as to why it did this, but
I can't remember what the answer was.  I know that's really unhelpful, but
maybe more helpful is that IT STILL WORKS and empty is in the right place,
so that's why I haven't bothered to worry that much about it.  Maybe you
absolutely want to fix it right away no matter what, but you might try
driving it and seeing whether I has completely failed.

As far as getting it out of the dash, you just need to pull the instrument
cluster.  That's a fairly simple task;  you will take out the screws at the
top and bottom of the cluster, remove the screws holding the heater controls
in place, remove the bracket holding the steering wheel up, remove the wiper
knob by loosening the set screw, remove the headlight knob by turning the
headlights on, holding the button on top of the switch (behind the dash)
down and then pulling the knob out (so you will probably want to disconnect
the battery so that the headlights don't drain it), remove the headlight and
wiper eschutcheons (or whatever they are called), remove the retaining nut
from the trip odometer cable,  pull the dash forward, unplug the dash
harness, disconnect the speedo, and disconnect the manifold vacuum line from
the manifold pressure gauge.  Then the entire cluster should pull out.  You
might put a towel over the steering column so that you don't scratch it.

Removal of the gas gauge is then simply a matter of removing a few 1/4 in.
screws.  You can see the back of the cluster here:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/8.htm

Norm Witte

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/